布什告别演讲稿精选(中英文对照)Bush's farewell speech

美联社报道,虽然乔治-W-布什总统现在不得人心,但是他却矢志不渝。周日晚上,在向全国发表的告别演说中,他对自己在两届总统任期内的表现进行了辩护,并称任内取得了来之不易的成就。

Unpopular but unbowed, President George W. Bush defended his tumultuous two terms in a farewell address to the nation Thursday night, claiming a hard-won record of achievement, AP reported.

9/11恐怖袭击时,民众和他万众一心。布什对此进行了回顾,并宣称美利坚合众国将“永不疲倦,永不动摇,永不会失败。”

Reaching back to the Sept. 11 attacks, when the public rallied behind him, Bush declared the United States will "never tire, never falter and never fail."

布什将带着自理查德-尼克松总统之后最低的民意支持率卸任。他说,“也许,你不赞成我做的那些艰难的决定,但我希望你能认为我愿意做出那些艰难的决定。”

Leaving office with the highest disapproval rating since Richard Nixon, Bush said, "You may not agree with some of the tough decisions I have made, but I hope you can agree that I was willing to make the tough decisions."

恐怖主义、两次战争和经济衰退给这8年打上了不可磨灭的烙印,这次13分钟的讲话是对这8年的一个收尾,也是在周二离任前为任内工作辩护的最后一次机会。

A bookend to eight years indelibly marked by terrorism, two wars and recessions, the 13-minute speech was Bush's last opportunity before he leaves office Tuesday to defend his presidency.

在距卸任只剩112小时的时候,他在白宫的东房发表了讲话。

He spoke from the East Room of the White House with just 112 hours left in office.

根据安排,他的下一次露面是在总统就职日。他将在白宫北门廊问候当选总统巴拉克-奥巴马。

His next scheduled public appearance will be greeting President-elect Barack Obama on Inauguration Day at the White House's North Portico.

布什看上去很开心,也很自信。他把首位黑人总统奥巴马的就职称为美国“希望和自豪的时刻。”

Seemingly upbeat and confident, Bush called the inauguration of Obama, the first black president, a "moment of hope and pride" for America.

这位第43任美国总统直到最后依然初衷不改,他宣称,美国在伊拉克和阿富汗的外交政策是成功的,并表示,他的政府改善了公立学校,推出了一项医疗保险处方药利好政策,并为老兵们提供了更好的待遇。

Defiant until the end, the nation's 43rd president claimed foreign policy successes in Iraq and Afghanistan while crediting his administration with improving public schools, creating a new Medicare prescription drug benefit and finding more money for veterans.

美国正面临几十年来最严重的经济危机。布什表示,他的政府采取了“果断的措施”来为经济保驾护航。

With the United States facing the worst financial crisis in generations, Bush said his White House took "decisive measures" to safeguard the economy.

布什说,底线就是,在他任内,“既有好日子,也有艰难的日子”。

The bottom line, Bush said, is there have been "good days and tough days" during his term.

布什讲完离开了讲台,自信开始让位于怀旧。

Self-assurance gave way to nostalgia as soon as Bush left the podium.

沿着铺着红地毯的走廊,他独自一人走向了白宫寓所。

He walked alone down the red-carpeted hallway toward the White House residence.

接着,他回到了房间——房间里满是政府大员和盟友,顾问,还有朋友——他们都还站着,欢呼着。

Then, he returned to the room — full of Cabinet secretaries and allies, advisers and friends — still on their feet, cheering.

布什和第一夫人劳拉-布什一起问候来宾。

Bush and first lady Laura Bush greeted the guests.

在房间对面,他们的女儿,芭芭拉用双手擦拭脸上的泪水。

Across the room, their daughter, Barbara, wiped away tears with both hands.

在父亲发表告别演说的时候,芭芭拉的姐姐,杰娜-哈格尔,拍了拍她的肩膀。

Her sister, Jenna Hager, touched her on her shoulder as their father said his final farewell.

布什总统任期始于美国最严重的恐怖袭击,并在几十年来最严重的经济崩溃中划上句号。

Bush's presidency began with the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil and ends with the worst economic collapse in three generations.

他说,“对于辛勤工作的千万家庭来说,这些都是非常艰难的日子,但是如果我们不采取行动,后果会不堪设想。”

"These are very tough times for hardworking families, but the toll would be far worse if we had not acted," he said.

“所有美国人都参与进来了。团结起来,用决心,用辛勤的工作,我们定能让经济走上复兴之路。”

"All Americans are in this together. And together, with determination and hard work, we will restore our economy to the path of growth."

布什表示,“像在我之前担当此职的前人一样,我也经历过挫折。”

"Like all who have held this office before me, I have experienced setbacks," Bush said.

“如果还有机会,有些事我会换一种方法来处理。但是,我在做事的时候,一直都把我们国家的最高利益放在心里。我对得起自己的良心,做了我认为正确的事情。”

"And there are things I would do differently if given the chance. Yet I have always acted with the best interests of our country in mind. I have followed my conscience and done what I thought was right."

布什看上去志得意满——不时地咧着嘴笑——他总结了任内工作,准备卸下椭圆形办公室的工作重担。

Bush appeared content — grinning at times — as he summed up his presidency and prepared to be relieved from the burdens of the Oval Office.

在谈到国家安全时,他特别讲到,政府努力为国家添加新型装备来监控恐怖分子,冻结其资金,并挫败他们的阴谋。

On national security, he highlighted his administration's efforts to equip the nation with new tools to monitor terrorists, freeze their finances and foil their plots.

但是,他也承认,他的有些政策是有争议的,包括恐怖主义监控计划以及对可疑恐怖分子严厉的讯问等。

But he also acknowledged some of his controversial policies, including the terrorist surveillance program and harsh interrogation of suspected terrorists.

在2000年备受争议的大选中,布什胜出。2001年1月20日,一个雨天,他成为一个被大选撕裂的国家的领导人。

Bush, the victor of the bitterly contested 2000 election, became leader of a divided nation on a rainy Jan. 20, 2001.

那时,他谈到了文明礼仪、谈到了同情心,承诺要对社会保障和医疗保险制度进行大刀阔斧的改革,并谈到了要建设一个“充满正义和机遇”的国家。

He spoke then of a need for civility and compassion, pledged to overhaul Social Security and Medicare and talked of building a nation of "justice and opportunity."

几个月后的9/11恐怖袭击猛烈地改变了这一切,最终他留给人们的主要是阿富汗和伊拉克战争以及他的反恐计划。

The Sept. 11 attacks several months later drastically changed everything, leaving his legacy to be largely defined by the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and his terror-fighting initiatives.

在将一大堆国内国际问题抛给奥巴马之际,布什说,“我们经历过危险和困难,前面,还会有更多的困难。但是,我们的人民有勇气,我们对理想有信心,这个伟大的国家将永不疲倦,永不动摇,永不会失败。”

As he passed off a huge set of domestic and international problems to Obama, Bush said, "We have faced danger and trial, and there is more ahead. But with the courage of our people and confidence in our ideals, this great nation will never tire, never falter, and never fail."